Saturday 9 June 2012

Indigo Mile a Minute

Indigo Mile a Minute Blocks

Sorting through my scrap drawer I pulled out everything purple.  I’m trying to work out in my mind the difference between indigo and violet and selecting fabrics in these two colours – I’m really working on this Rainbow idea.  Once I sorted my scraps I then resorted into a blue purple pile and a red purple pile.  This week I sewed the blue-purples - Indigo – into 'Mile a Minute' blocks.  Check out what others are doing with Purple in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge at Soscrappy.

Though the word indigo has existed in English since the 13th century, it may never have been a common part of the basic color-naming system.  The mental maps of English speakers appear to contain just six basic spectral colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple.
 
Colour!  What a deep and mysterious language, the language of dreams - Paul Gauguin

9 comments:

  1. I really love these and yep, there are so many different colors of purple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how all the lights just make the eye wander around the blocks. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your comment about the word indigo! I think "they" just added it to the color spectrum pneumonic so it would be easy to remember. Roy G Biv makes more sense than Roy G Bv! BTW - love the M-A-M blocks - I need to make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, I think you are so right. Six rainbow colours work for me.

      Delete
  4. Indigo is always a tricky color for me too. Great looking blocks. He the next group turns out just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty - gotta love purple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purple is my daughter's favourite colour, in Kindergarten her nickname was 'Purple girl'.

      Delete