Saturday 31 October 2020

Scrappy Trip around the World

I was able to complete my October goal (and then some) which was to piece the top of this Rainbow Scrappy Trip around the World quilt. 

I had the top done by mid-October so I decided to try and push through and quilt and bind it as well.  Off I went to the quilt stores and found this lovely rainbow coloured fabric for the back. 


I had also thought to use up extra scrappy trip along squares and then decided on only the aqua/turquoise blocks.  I’m happy this the results. 


Initially I had considered a pantograph and a rainbow variegated thread for the top, however near the beginning of the first row, I just wasn’t happy and the little squars were talking to me.  So I picked out what I had started and proceeded to do some custom quilting and change the colour of the top thread in each block. 


I’m so happy with the results.

For the bobbin thread I used an aqua. 


While shopping for backing I found a small rainbow stripe which I thought would look good as a binding, however once the quilt was done I started auditioning fabric from my stash and a black and white stripe won out. 


The Scrappy Trip Around the world was inspired by BonnieHunter, The Rainbow colours by Soscrappy and moving forward in my unfinished projects pile by Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal. 


Both my husband and my daughter want to claim this quilt, I think the quilting appeals to them.

QUILT DETAILS

Scrappy Trip around the World Quilt 2020

The finished quilt measures 85 inches by 85 inches.

Started: June 2013.

Finished: October 2020.

2 ½ inch squares

A total of 1764 squares.

 

Create your own rainbow everyday.

10 comments:

  1. So nice and colourful, I like the way you have arranged the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! It is wonderfully cheerful. Great decision on the binding. Love it. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! It was a lot of squares to quilt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an absolute beautiful quilt! Excellent use of color placement with your blocks and the entire quilt - Easy on the eyes and blending is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is beautiful in rainbow colors - great job

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow -- this is gorgeous! And I love the black and white stripe for the binding. Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Double wedding ring top stitching? Sorry Richard and Olivia this ones mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilting is called continuous curve.

      Delete