Wednesday 25 January 2012

Feathered Star




Today is my oldest son’s birthday, so I thought it would be nice to show his quilt. 
This quilt with the Feathered Star pattern was started at a Quilting Retreat at Emerald Lake Lodge.  The centre of each star has a block which is eight by eight inches, so there are at least 64 pieces in each centre, probably more because there are a lot of triangles.  It has a border of one inch triangles as well.  The colours were picked for Kevin; and he helped select the fabrics. 
The back of the quilt is a black paisley print which was bought while we were on a trip to attend my brother-in-law Nigel’s wedding in Washington DC.  His bride Cheri was from Lancaster county Pennsylvania - Amish country - and the Amish women are famous for their impeccable quilting, so I knew I wanted to make the two and a half hour trip from Washington to see some quilts and buy some fabric.  We saw so many quilts, hanging on fences, porches and clothes lines and visited many quilt stores, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven!  This quilt was made about twenty years ago and has been loved to pieces. 
Happy Birthday Kevin!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks mom! I wish it still looked this new. It has been well used and loved for sure.

    ReplyDelete