Wednesday 28 February 2018

February’s OMG

Quilting and binding this Jelly Roll Race quilt was my goal for the month of February, and I was able to complete it.  Of course I finished it on the last day of the month, all I can say is thank goodness for goals.

  

I’m not exactly sure where I got this batik fabric from, however right from the start I knew I wanted to make another Jelly Roll Race quilt with it.  I have found that in the batik jelly rolls there isn’t the variety of fabric that there is in a standard jelly roll.  The batik jelly rolls usually have two of each fabric, so it doesn’t give as much variety in the overall finished quilt.  I believe I might have added some fabric from my stash to expand on this quilt to add variation.


I also knew from the start that I wanted to add an additional colour as a joiner and to all a little zing to the quilt.  When I picked the turquoise I kept thinking of fire and ice or fire and water, so when I found a pantograph called Aqua Flame by Hermione Agee I thought the pattern and name was just right for this quilt.


I used up some bigger pieces in my stash for the back and remembered to include a label.



Near the end of the month I usually bring my OMG quilt projects into work so that I can finish sewing on the binding during my lunch hour.  I got the idea that this quilt would look good by our fire-place.  I work in the Library at Mount Royal University and this is a comfy reading area on our third floor.



So happy to have achieved my One Monthly Goal for February, many others have also reached their goals and you can see the lovely finishes at Elm Street Quilts.

The sky broke like an egg into full sunset and the water caught fire. ~ Pamela Hansford Johnson

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always mom nice work! I sent you some batik jelly rolls for x-mass a few years ago maybe some of those were used for this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well could be Kev, these are the same colourway.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. Adding borders really spices up these jelly roll quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love photos of quilts in the snow! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete