Tuesday 3 May 2022

A quilting retreat with some friends

So happy to get away last weekend with three quilting friends, it was productive and rejuvenating.  Sewing/quilting is my happy place and it’s so nice to be able to take a weekend away from all the obligations of everyday life.

Here we are with a glimpse of our sewing tables in the background. 

Carolyn, Edith Mary-Ann & Alison (clockwise)

I took my Featherweight so was only able to work on projects that needed straight stitching.  I was able to work on everything that I brought along to sew on.

The first project I pulled out of the bag was this little improve curved pieced quilt.  I took an online class with Cindy Grisdela and absolutely loved it.  All the blocks were completed, and I just needed to sew the top together.  This quilt has a sea theme.  Next step will be quilting. 


My second project was putting these mini log cabin bookmark tops together, again the little blocks were sewn and just needed to be assembled into the bookmark shapes.  Now that I’m home I’ll layer them and add ribbons. 


The purple leaf potholders needed the stems to be sewn and added.  Now I just need to embellish them with buttons. Pattern by Patchwork Pottery


Next it was time to hem these dish towels, I believe this fabric has been in my stash for about 40 years (or more), would that put it at vintage?  Hemmed and ready to use, I think my daughter has claimed them. 


I made a good attempt at completing this cushion top called Stellar Pillow from all the leftover bits from the Gravity quilt by Jaybird Quilts.  I was short a couple of dark green at the bottom and quickly added the last three rows when I got home. 


Finished up a guitar theme pillow case which my bass playing son promptly claimed. 


I needed to make the yo-yos for the delphinium on this little wall hanging (desinged by my frined Terry Morberg) which still needs some leaves and a bit of embellishing with buttons and beads. 


An finally I pieced the top for a Frankenbag with the left-over bits of fabric from my Gypsy/Wanderer Wife quilt top. I did come home and sew another side.  Looking forward to completing a bag and deciding if I like the process and want to make more.


And that was it from a most welcomed (and needed) weekend of sewing, good company, music, wine and home-cooked meals.

 

We must always change, renew, rejuvenate ourselves; otherwise, we harden. ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No comments:

Post a Comment