Thursday 5 January 2017

OMG – One Monthly Goal

I’m excited to have found a monthly finishing group and have joined up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal event, hoping to finish at least one project each month for 2017.

I have so many unfinished projects to choose from, so for January I have decided to work on what I believe is the oldest quilt in my stash of unfinished objects (UFOs), a Double Irish Chain quilt.
 
Double Irish Chain quilt
This top, which I still love after all these years is made mostly with scraps of fabric from handmade clothing from my youth as well as some other collected fabrics.  I used to sew most of my clothing, my doll’s clothing, some of my sister’s and friend’s clothing.

Why was this quilt so long in the making?  A few things, first I think I cut all these little blocks using a cardboard template and then individually machine sewed them together, this was started long before rotary cutters and quilting rulers, and it was also made with little odd shaped left-overs.  I got all the 25 patch blocks done first, then I started hand sewing the corners on the mostly white blocks, and soon tired of this task, so it got put aside for a very long time. 
 

When I decided that I wanted to complete the top I decided to rethink the white block and came up with a plan to machine sew those corners.
 

I finally got the top pieced and it was ready for quilting, however all my customer's quilts came first and this lovely top has being patiently hanging in the closet for the last four years.  Recently, I have started a full time job, consequently I’m taking a break from quilting for customers and looking forward to quilting some of my own quilts.

Interested in joining the satisfaction of finishing Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal event?  Check it out, and be sure to check back at the end of January to see my finished Double Irish Chain quilt.

8 comments:

  1. This will be a lovely quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you much success in completing your lovely top so you can use it and enjoy, love and wrap yourself in comfort with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Double Irish Chain quilt is so pretty. I love the story behind and look forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see it finished. I can understand why it would be a favourite, it is beautiful and full of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely quilt with an interesting history of how you progressed in its construction! Hope you enjoy your new job and finishing some of your own quilt tops this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt top is beautiful! I can't wait to see it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very pretty top. Good luck on your OMG for January.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I can hardly wait to see this lovely top quilted! What a great history the fabrics have!

    ReplyDelete