Saturday 16 January 2016

Playing with Blue Fabric



Friday evening was spent playing with my blue fabric scraps, I wanted to have something to show for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge at Soscrappy.  So I pulled out my blue scrap bag and started working on a couple of dark blue slabs for a slab quilt and two lighter blue slabs to make my blue fabric scrap box (hopefully before the end of this Blue month), instruction and inspiration for slabs and boxes are from the book Sunday Morning Quilts by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison.
Blue fabric slabs
Some of my blue bits were a bit large, so I did a little scrap management and cut some strips as well as a few 2 ½ inch squares.
Scrap management
                     I thought I made a dent in my blue scraps, maybe just a little.
Blue fabric scraps

Somewhere, over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true
  ~ E.Y. Harburg

16 comments:

  1. So smart to manage your scraps while you have them out. I really need to dump the bin of overflowing blues and iron and cut to sizes. Great slab blocks... Hmmm I think I made some of them at one point.. I do wonder where they are hiding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned that scrap bins are really bottomless pits. You've made some lovely blocks to use as you want in the future, right? That is your reward for drinking the scrap koolaid! (g)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some BLUE goodness going on in your sewing room! Looking forward to seeing how your Scrap Box turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great slab blocks with a great use of scraps. Love your blues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to make a blue fabric scrap box this month! I have been wanting to do the same for my scraps, so I think I might join you! What pattern are you using? I was actually thinking of making the One Hour Basket, although I love the idea of making slabs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to see that you use up all the smallest scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making a dent is a good start with blues. Love the slabs. Such a fun way to make fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to use up the smaller pieces!! These slabs are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't tried slab making yet. Yours are inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blue slab blocks. what a good idea. I need to dump my small blue scraps on the table and sew some this week. Maybe make some hot pads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The slab blocks look great and you put them together so well. You will have a special Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I need to start making slab blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your slab blocks a lot and separating into light and dark blues is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see you're making larger crumb blocks - so pretty and that's an impressive pile of blue scraps. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I swear that no matter how many of my scraps get used, there are that many more (and then some) waiting to be stitched.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your bright and light blue slab blocks, lots of pretty colors in each.

    ReplyDelete